Thursday, May 27, 2010

PC Monitor Problem Solved?

Here is a photo of the cause of my PC Problem according to the tech at the PC Repair shop! When the monitor overheats it shuts down (or refuses to load) causing the PC to crash and then not restart properly. The tech put the system under extreme pressure which caused the monitor to overheat and then crash. So it is good news because it seems the fault has been discovered, but there is some bad news too.

The PC has a three year warranty but the monitor has a manufacturer's two year warranty. My system is about 2.5 years old. Therefore the monitor is out of warranty.

I got the PC back home, put it all back together again and started it up. The screen looked different to a normal startup, it looked the same as the screen I would see when I eventually would get it back and running again after a 'no monitor' start.

Usually I leave the monitor in 'stand-by' overnight. Now I will have to turn the monitor off when not in use to ensure it cools down. The tech believes that even in stand-by the monitor will heat up and possibly not load with the computer even at its first daily startup.

I have never had it 'shut down' and cause the system to crash, my problems usually occur at startup. So we will just have to wait and see.

I could buy a new monitor but I think I will hang off. In the meantime I will turn the monitor off when not in use and see how it goes. My 3 Year PC warranty runs out in October this year so I will probably do something then.

No comments: