Friday, September 26, 2014

End Of The Week

We were promised a thunderstorm late yesterday (Thursday) and all we managed was the utmost top tip of the storm front.  Areas to the south got a good fall but we managed around 6mls.

But a even drop like that is better than nothing, especially for the lawn and garden.  Actually the heaviest rain fell while the sun was shining!

We spent much of yesterday 'out' looking around some shops.  The Arts Centre Association required a new printer so that was on the list.  It has been ages since I had been to this shopping centre so I wanted a look around at the new shops.

And finally I was on the lookout for a small wallet.

My wallet is full of numerous cards and other bits and pieces, all of which I want to keep.  But it is so bulky to cart around all the time.  So I was after a cut down version in which I could store all my day to day stuff rather than cart around Melbourne Public Transport Cards and heaps of store cards etc.

I can't put the bulky wallet in my back pocket as it causes me to sit incorrectly and puts extra pressure on my back.

I found a nifty small leather wallet which is just ideal.  You hardly know you are carrying it!

As the day slipped into night at last Friday's drinks, I remembered the solar powered "Shed Light" I had bought and installed to give some light under the new pergola had ceased to work.  So I was on the lookout for a replacement.

The power we have at the back of the yard for the pool is on what is called Tariff 33.  Tariff 33 is a cheaper rate but is not available 24 hours a day.  It is switched off during 'peak times', usually from around 5:30pm to 8:30pm at night.  This is fine for the pool filter (the main reason we got the Tariff 33 put on) but when I want to power up a light while we are enjoying a drink or two there is no electricity!  The solar powered light was therefore a great solution.

I bought a light yesterday (see the photo above left) which is powered and has rechargeable batteries which give around 4 hours of light when on battery.  Then you just plug it into the mains again and the light recharges.  Therefore it will work perfectly with our Tariff 33.

The light just sits on a couple of screws and is easily put up or removed to be stored or recharged.  Even with Tariff 33 power available in the backyard it is easy to connect an extension lead to it for an overnight recharge!  A good deal I reckon for $40!

No comments: