Sunday, September 21, 2014

All Done!

It has just gone 1:30 on Sunday afternoon and all is relatively 'back to normal' on the PC front.  I have 'just' finished!

Some of my backing up files will need to be updated a little before it all runs perfectly again.  For example I back up my Firefox and Thunderbird profiles and the profile folder name has changed.  These need to be updated within the updater program.

I will also add a few bits between the main PC and the laptop so I am not suddenly needing to copy over profiles and folders.

Everything went fairly smoothly.  I forgot to change my User Access Security Level within Windows.  This meant that when I went to change the inner workings of a few programs Windows wouldn't 'let' me.  Once I reset the settings (available via Control Panel > User Accounts and then click on Change User account Settings all the way down to "Never Notify") you have much better access to some files.

The new PC has numerous USB3 ports.  I have a couple of USB3 capable external hard drives which now can swap files at an incredible pace.  Previously on a good day they would transfer at around 14mb/s.  Via the USB3 ports, they transfer at around 60mb/s.  This makes copying photos and other files from the hard drive back to the computer very quick indeed.

Computer Club was busy as usual yesterday.  The footy was great with Hawthorn just holding on to win their way through to the Grand Final.  Trish was happy with the result but isn't looking forward to the Grand Final next week.  The Sydney team looks quite formidable based on Hawthorn's form yesterday.

No comments: