Thursday, May 12, 2011

Chilly On The Sunshine Coast

We had a brisk 7 degrees this morning! Winter has come so quickly to us this year. Cold blustery southerly winds and humidity down to less than 40%. I now ride at 16 degrees! I don't use the time anymore, I wait till it is warm enough then off I go. I get my 12 to 15 k's in most days. It has been dry with little rain here the last few days with temps into the low 20's.

I am just about computered out. Friends who bought the new computer on Monday had Trish and me around for a wonderful meal last night. This was after I had spent all afternoon transferring files and installing programs onto their new PC. It went reasonably smoothly with the biggest problem the anti-virus program I like to use. But much of it is done now with only emails and some other utility programs to be installed which I will do Friday afternoon.

The meal was lovely, the company excellent and the job of emptying their alcohol cupboard was commenced! It may take a couple more trips to get that one finished though.

Another older lady on the estate is just having broadband put on and has a brand new Toshiba Laptop. So I have busy helping her out as well. The Toshiba had a strange way of first running and took almost 90 minutes before it was up and going. After installing Windows 7 64 bit it was then I discovered it was only a 2GB RAM laptop.

So I was back this morning to do it all over again and install the 32 bit version of Windows. 64 bit really needs at least 3GB RAM (but better with 4GB) so it would really have struggled with a mere 2GB. The 32 bit version will work fine. She still awaits her modem/router from Bigpond. Currently delivery is about 4 days behind and she is impatient to get on the internet!

Trish has Trivia tonight so I will settle back and enjoy all my AFL footy shows on Pay TV.

I have been trying to get the voip phone working 100%. Sometimes we have had a problem receiving our ordinary PSTN incoming phone calls. I have swapped the wall phone filter over to a new one, I have tried two different modem/routers, we have bought new cordless phones and still the problem is there. The only thing I haven't swapped over is the original filter/splitter which connects the phone to the modem/router. After today that has now been done.

If it doesn't work perfectly now I am not sure what is left to swap over that could be the problem!

Friends Janet and Mick from Newcastle are staying with us for four nights in about 10 days time. The home brew may get a a fair use while they are here.

No comments: