Saturday, November 16, 2013

Using Google

I jumped on the internet to Google "water falling from sky".  Turns out it is called "rain".  It is as black as outside and it is trying very very hard to rain with a little success.  We have had rain on and off for almost an hour now and have around 6mls in the gauge.

Despite being a small amount in total, it has been enough to give the pool a bit of a top up.  We could do with some more but even 6 or so mls is enough to give the pool a good drink.

But the lawns and gardens will appreciate it the most.

I was doing a presentation at Computer Club this morning on cheaper android phones and Telechoice phone plans.  I mentioned it in the post for Monday.  Our regular computer 'Guru' would be away and I was asked to do something.  I decided to do it as a website which I threw together out of Google Sites.

I was all prepared and ready to go when we discovered we were having problems with the club's internet connection.  As the website was on the net I was doomed for my presentation.  That was until we set up a temporary internet connection via the "tethering' facility on my android phone.  It was a great practical demonstration of how a 'cheap' phone can still be used to get a laptop onto the net in an emergency.

You can check the presentation out HERE.

The whole thing seemed to go down pretty well.  Especially when a 2 yr plan and phone on Optus was around 1440 over 2 years where a cheaper phone and $480 over two years (Total $580) on the Telstra network was available as well. That is a good saving in anyone's language.

The guy who makes his own alcohol which then can become whisky, rum or whatever presented me with another 1.125 litres this morning.  My supply of "bourbon" is now filled up again!  I am copying some TV series over for him as I type.

Yesterday I was a member of a delegation which had a meeting with our local MP.  It was over issues affecting the Community association.  He is going to do some investigations for us on concerns we have with overhead helicopter circuits.  It seemed to go well.

The number of empty home brew bottles I had this morning was good evidence that Friday drinks last night was extremely pleasant!

No comments: