Friday, November 08, 2013

End Of The Week

Here we are at the end of the week and the sun has returned to the skies.  The weather has been mild and a breezy 28 or so each day with a little hotter expected today.

After Trish returned home from Stitchers on Wednesday I hopped in the car and headed off to collect the repaired Waeco and the new modem router.

I had ordered the modem/router online from a large Brisbane based Computer Store called Umart.  They have a kind of 'sub-branch' here around 15k's away from Caloundra near Maroochydore.  So you purchase online one day and usually your item is available to collect from their nearby store the next day.

I awoke very early on Thursday wondering how setting up the new modem/router up would go.  I want different devices to be able to 'speak' with each other so I had to ensure all the settings were spot on.

There were a couple of hiccups but after an hour or so my PC, Trish's laptop, our two mobile phones, the printer, our TV and my internet radio were all connected and online again.

Each time any device connects to the network it is given a number by the modem/router.  Sometimes this can be a hassle because, depending on when a device is turned on and subsequently connects to the network, has an effect on what number it may be given.  So if I wish to transfer a movie from my PC to the hard disk drive (HDD) attached to the media player it is handy if the particular HDD always has the same number.

I can just press a button on the keyboard and the HDD attached to the media player 'opens' on my screen.  Then it is just a matter of drag and drop and the movie gets copied across.  Setting a permanent number took a little bit of figuring but all is perfect now. The biggest difference I have noticed is just how much quicker it is to transfer movie files wirelessly across the house.  The new modem/router has Wireless 'n' which is quicker than 'b' or 'g'.

The Waeco is back and in full operation.  It took a long time for the repair to happen but all is well that ends well.  The Waeco now lives just outside the back door.  I bought a stand for it as well so it now sits well off the ground.  This is safer for it in case of wet weather and it sure makes opening and closing a lot easier as well.

I will get the stand 'for Christmas'.  Somewhere along the line I will get a Christmas Gift voucher for $50 which will I will then pass on to Trish.  Trish is going to sew up a waterproof cover for the top of the Waeco, just in case of a sudden nasty storm.

My back feels a heap better but I do need to be careful with what I do.  That is easier said than done.  And we have a new curtain in the main bedroom.  10 years of Queensland sun meant the former curtain was looking a little 'tired'.

We had our weekly drinks session last night as one of the group had a commitment Friday.  It was the first time all 6 of us had been together for quite a while so it was good.

Ian and Kerrie have a daughter in her 30's who struggles from time to time.  She finds it difficult to keep a job and at times, can be quite a handful.  She receives support from the government.  She lives with Kerrie and Ian.  So despite being retired, they always have another body around the house.  They have been looking for something bigger with pretty much an area where the daughter can live.

It appears they may have found something larger to live in which could suit their needs so they are making plans to purchase.  The say they will rent it out and stay in their current home until later 2014.  It is hoped with property again beginning to move in this area they have purchased their new home at a lower end of the cycle and they could be able to sell their current home as things further improve.

They will eventually be around 6k's away which creates a hassle for our regular Friday night's.  They are keen to keep these social nights going but we will see.

I didn't ride yesterday because I was setting up the modem/router but I did get around 13k's in on my bike this morning.  With recent cooler overnights, the pool wasn't too bad this morning at around 23º.

No comments: