Tuesday, November 05, 2013

A New Modem/Router

My internet modem/router has recently begun to shut itself down and restart again every few days.  Though not a real problem right now I see it as the beginning of the end for it.  You might be halfway through something when it all stops, there is no internet and all the lights on the modem have gone out.  A minute later all is fine again and you can complete your task.

My current modem/router has Voip which we no longer use as our phone plans are so generous.

A replacement Voip enabled modem/router will set me back around $180.  I am going for a TP-Link TD-W8980 which will cost me under $110.  From checking the internet it seems it is pretty nifty and cheaper unit.  It seems to get great reviews from all over.  It comes with all the bells and whistles and is wireless "N".

This means not only greater wireless range but much quicker wireless speeds.  So I should now be able to copy over a movie from my PC to a hard drive attached to the media player in half the time.

Increased range will be good too.  Right now the wireless reception for my Kogan Internet Radio is just one or two bars.  It should be interesting to see what it is when I pick the new modem/router up tomorrow.

I will fetch it when I get the Waeco fridge which is also ready for me to collect.

We had our final Community Association Meeting last night.  Previously attendances had been quite down but last night we had in excess of 50 people there.  It was excellent.  The speakers were high profile and interesting.  It made being involved with the group all that much better.

We have had strong winds and a few showers overnight.  With all the stuff in the air last night and with the strong wind and rain the pool is full of dust again.  It is still windy today so I will vacuum the pool tomorrow. Today we would have been lucky to get to 24 degrees.  With a shower early this morning I didn't manage a bike ride either.

Warmer sunny weather should return tomorrow and carry on for the rest of the week and into the weekend.

No comments: