Monday, March 17, 2008

Still Have Sniffles On Monday!

Trish and I still have our colds and we both feel pretty blocked up! We have both decided not to ride the last few mornings in case it makes our colds worse. I think at long last I am beginning to improve. I did not bother with the Computer Club on Saturday. I did not want to be breathing and spreading my germs around others.

Upon our return from 'down south' Trish has had a fair bit of washing to catch up on. Our washing machine is a little over five years old and has been working fine. However the spin cycle sounds a little like a Tiger Moth Aircraft warming up on the tarmac at the moment. We managed to get a few loads through but the noisy spin cycle did not improve.

It costs up $100 just for someone to come and look at it at this stage though there are some 'freebies' around who will look for nothing. I rang a few repair guys and the consensus was the problem was most likely bearings. The seals had broken and water had seeped in causing the bearings to rust and run noisily. Repair costs were estimated anywhere between $250 and $300!

We bit the bullet and bought a new one, a bottom of the range front loading machine. The Queensland Government subsidizes water efficient washing machines with a $200 cash rebate. When you add this to the expected bill of about $300 for repairs, I was $500 in front before I started. The new machine was delivered and installed. Then it was time to fill in the Warranty details and of course they wanted the serial number which was on the back of the 'installed' machine. Trish drew the short straw and slid in behind a partially moved washing machine to recover the serial number!

Not good for your back!

No comments: