Saturday, February 01, 2014

A Lazy Saturday Afternoon

There isn't any sport on TV and it is Saturday.  That has left me with time to mess about on the PC.  It hasn't been operating as smoothly as usual and I am trying a few things to see if I can sort it out.  It will freeze every now and again so I began keeping a record of what I was doing at the time of the freeze.  I discovered it was always the same program I was using when it froze. The program was "Mailwasher".  I tried different versions of it and still that was the program running when the PC froze.

Every now and again my Windows Explorer would crash, (that is all the icons, the bar at the foot of the screen and things on the screen would disappear).  All that was left running on the screen was the background picture.  Sometimes I would get a pop-up message saying that the Nvidia Driver had recovered from a crash. This driver helps run the PC's graphics card which looks after all desktop items and things on the monitor.  After a couple of coughs and splutters everything would reappear back on the screen again as the driver 'recovered'!

So today I have gone back to an 'older' version of the Nvidia driver.  The screen looks a little different and when things open on the monitor they look a different size to what they used to be.  I also got a couple of 'blue screens of death' which means there is a problem on the PC somewhere with the hardware and its driver.  I hoping this backdating of the Nvidia graphics driver will solve my problem.

I noted that Mailwasher froze my PC when I changed the program's theme color.

Everything works perfectly when I restart the computer.  I will see if the backdating of the graphics driver helps.

I had computer club today and the usual round of problems with people's laptops, tablets or android phones.  I reckon I sold 2 Huawei Y300 phones today and possibly a WDTV media player as well.  People want everything for nothing when sometimes all you really need is the right equipment in the first place.

Drinks was good fun again last night.  It looks like we will not be 'drinksing' next Friday as one couple is interstate and the other is heading out for the night.

I bottled the latest brew yesterday.  Later in the day I headed into the Home Brew shop in town for some mixers for Sambucca and Bourbon to be used on the 1.125l of alcohol I was given last week.  When I arrived at the Home Brew shop I was delighted to find someone I had helped left me $50 there on 'my account'.  The mixers all worked well and I have several cans of Home Brew mix in storage for future use.

The Sambucca not only requires flavouring it requires a 'thickener' as well.  The stuff I buy can be seen in the picture.

I was given a Coopers English Bitter to make and it tastes OK as well.  All my stocks of alcohol are topped up again now. 

No comments: