Friday, February 14, 2014

Whirlpool BC to the Rescue

As many will know my birthday isn't far away.  I decided to buy myself a 7" tablet, and if you know me, I am looking for the best tablet at the cheapest price.  The one to go for at the moment is the Google Nexus 7, 2nd generation.  But it has a couple of drawbacks like being unable to take an SD card to extend its memory.

But it has a very good top of the range processor which means it should run quite quickly.  The Google Nexus 7 2nd generation costs around $285.

I do enjoy a website called Whirlpool BC.  It is a 'forum' where everyone can talk to everyone about most things electrical or computer.  There is a section there on Android Tablets.

I was reading through the forum and stumbled upon a 'thread' on a 7" tablet put out by Hisense called a Sero 7 Pro.  Its specs almost match the Google Nexus 7 in many areas but it does has an SD Card slot and is available from Betta Electrical stores for $159.

It is one of the very few tablets which also uses the same processor as the Google Nexus 7.

I typed the name of the tablet into Google and added the word review.  "Hisense Sero 7 Pro Review".

The reviews it gets for a $159 tablet are excellent.  One person wrote they went into to buy a 7" Samsung tablet but walked out with one of these instead and saved a heap of cash. They have had it for several months now and couldn't be happier.

Most people seem to be buying them from Retravision or Betta Electrical stores.  There aren't any Retravision stores in Queensland (only in W.A.) and there are only three Betta Electrical stores in S/E Queensland, the nearest were down in Brisbane.  I rang both Brisbane stores to be told they had been sold out  A third store in Gympie (100k's north) had one left at $159.  To buy it from that store online would add $48 postage and handling to the price!

I browsed the Whirlpool website and asked if anyone else knew of a place for me to buy one nearby. A Whirlpool guy suggested Retravision online.  I jumped onto the PC and the Retravision online store where I purchased one for $149 and $10-93 postage and handling!

I don't have to leave home and it costs me an extra 93c had I been able to buy one in S/E Queensland. It should be delivered early next week.

The weather is warming up here.  We are expecting 35 over the weekend.  I actually had a swim at the beach yesterday.  But they have this horrible yellow stuff called "sand" everywhere at the beach.  It sticks to you and is awfully uncomfortable.

Our pool looks a great option.  My beer wasn't quite ready to bottle this morning so it looks like I am bottling first thing tomorrow morning before I go to Computer Club.

The laptop I was working on went back to the owner.  I said I would be interested in considering to buy it but only for around $300.  You would be up for heaps if something went wrong and it was already over 2 years old.  I haven't heard anything from her so I guess she will continue to try for a better price.

No comments: