Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A Quiet Day

The phone still hasn't rung with any news, all I hear is that things are the 'same', no better but no worse. We can continue to keep our fingers crossed.

People who have visited us here know of all the electrical equipment I have around our TV setup. There is the TV itself, a set top box so the TV can have all the digital channels (these come built in to TV's nowadays), we have the Amplifier which looks after all the audio and speakers, there is a DVD player and the Austar PayTv receiver. On top of this we have a HDMI switch so I can connect everything to the TV via HDMI leads and an audio switch to send the sound from each of the components to our wireless headphones. And of course I have the WD TV Live Media Player as well to play back all the downloaded movies and TV shows!

This is eight items and each one has its own remote control!

To make things easier I bought and setup a Harmony Remote Control which takes over from all the other remotes. I bought my original one on eBay but later (pre GFC) bought an upmarket model for almost $300. I have since bought a brand new same model replacement again off eBay but only paid $85 for it.

You can get much better models nowadays but my older model does all I need it to do. A mate had a 'top of the line' Harmony One remote he wanted to sell for $50. His wife didn't like to use the Harmony One so he hardly ever used it.

Yesterday I grabbed it off him. Unfortunately he cleaned the plastic soft touch rear of the unit with Eucalyptus Oil which has had a detrimental effect on the plastic. It has become sticky so I will cover that soft touch back panel with 'contact'. To get me through until I get the new plastic contact I have used some plastic packing tape and it works fine. However the clear plastic contact will be better.

The new remote is certainly a step up from what I had been using. It has 'touch screen' controls and seems much more intuitive than the one I had. I have it all set up now and I am delighted with it.

Another glorious day today with a cloudless sky and an expected top temp of around 23 degrees. I am spending the day quietly today, no rush, do things when I want and just move along slowly!

As you can see from the photo left it was an extremely pleasant day today for a bike ride. Trish has organised a bus tour today for 25 ladies from Stitchers to Cooroy to the the old time movie theatre, a lovely lunch at the Cooroy RSL and some time in a couple of craft shops there. She was a little disappointed with the roll up but it will still be a fantastic day for those who go.

Last night Trish popped out for 30 minutes to help a non English reading Polish family fill in their Census form. As last night was Census Night she will begin in earnest to collect her area's Census Papers tomorrow.


No comments: