Tuesday, March 01, 2011

What A Long Day

I feel like I have just flown in from Asia after my one day trip to Canberra for the funeral of my aunt.

So as not to confuse things too much I shall recount my day using Daylight Saving times. I awoke with a start round 4 am. A quick shower, something to eat and I was on my way down to Brisbane to catch a plane direct to Canberra. We had arranged to use an "Airport Parking" company as the Airport Parking charges were ridiculous.

I arrived at the Parking Service, paid my account and was whisked to the airport by 5:45 am, an hour prior to my take-off time. I spent time reading the paper and waiting. The flight down to Canberra took almost 2 hours. We left Brisbane airport at 5:45 am and I arrived in Canberra at 8:30 am where I was eventually collected by Peter and Judy (my sister). They had been caught up with a traffic accident so I spent over 30 minutes waiting for them to get there.

The morning was spent chatting, having a coffee and then a quick lunch. We were joined by my brother Geoff and his son Jason who had driven 650k's from Melbourne. We arrived at the church, had the service and the burial and attended a 'wake' at the Gungahlin Lakes Golf Club. Soon after 4 pm Judy and Peter wanted to hit the road to get as far as possible before dark. They were heading to Omeo ( a 6 hour drive) and dropped me at the Canberra Airport before 4:30pm

My flight to Brisbane via Sydney wasn't till 6:30pm. After a 25 minute flight to Sydney we landed amidst some thunderstorms which eventually closed the airport and delayed my return flight from Sydney to Brisbane. The final leg of the trip was late getting off the ground and my arrival back in Brisbane wasn't until about 10:50pm. This was followed by being picked up again, getting driven to my car and then the one hour drive back home arriving around 12:30am. It took about 8 hours to get back home from Canberra.

The funeral was brief and to the point, the wake was great but catching up with a lot of relatives was really good.

I received a small parcel in the mail yesterday with a DVI to HDMI adapter in it all the way from a place in China. It is the light colored plug piece in this picture. My old TV only has one 'digital' DVI input at the back of it. The black box you can see in the photo allows me to connect 4 HDMI devices into 1 TV Input. It is a bit like a power board for TV connections.

I am pleased to say that after a fair bit of messing around everything is working perfectly! Even this photo shows the mess of wires behind the TV used to connect everything up!

No comments: