Monday, March 21, 2011

5" Of Rain Later!

Saturday was the wettest day of the weekend. I tipped 4mls out of the rain gauge on Saturday morning, 119mls on Sunday morning and another 7mls this morning which gave a total of 130mls all together or a little over 5" in the 'old scale'.

5" means there was a lot of water overflow from the pool which finishes up going down the drain. With the water goes the salt. The salt chlorinator is telling me the pool needs another bag of salt of the latest rain.

It was quiet at the Computer Club on Saturday with only a few minor hassles to address. The local First Class cricket grand final has been on TV over the weekend and took up much of my spare time.

My computer has powered off every time except for once late yesterday so I am putting the 'power off' problem onto the 'solved' list. I reckon there is a minor connection problem with the computer which only becomes a real problem in very humid weather.

The green you can see in the bottom right hand corner of the screen seen above is a program I use to show 'downloads' on the main PC as they come through. This is for a movie I downloaded yesterday afternoon.

I rang Trish this morning for a chat. She asked that I hop onto her laptop and her Facebook page to send a message to Kim who is returning from India on Thursday. Trish is catching up with Kim at Tullamarine airport. Kim flies in to Melbourne after nearly 4 months in India and Trish is about to head back up here to home. Trish will take Kim's car to the airport and then Kim will drive it home.

I began to type out the message on Trish's Dell laptop and saw there were heaps of typos. As it turned out when I hit the "i" key on the keyboard it typed out "io" and the DVD Drive door popped open. Other keyboard keys did strange things too. I checked out the documentation which came with the laptop and saw it was just over 18 months old and that as a 'special' it had come with 2 years warranty and in home repairs! I expect a call from a Dell tech in a day or so to arrange for him to fit a replacement keyboard.

The photo shows the external keyboard I have temporarily fitted to confirm the problem was the laptop keyboard and not some other internal part was the problem. I was very happy it was to be repaired at no cost to us!

A lovely sunny day today after the rain with temps into the low 30's. It is a little sticky as the sun soaks up some of the 5" of rain we got over the weekend.

No comments: