Monday, May 25, 2015

More From Saudi Arabia (Monday)

It is very restful here in Saudi for us.  Right now it is perfect for our needs, not heaps happening and allowing us both to recover from heavy colds but still being with Kate Arj and the grand kids.

At least we are both up and about, with Trish moving a fair bit more sluggishly than I am.  If we were working (perish the thought), I would be back at work no problems but Trish would still be at home resting up.

With the car available to us and with an off color Charli at home as well yesterday, we decided to drive to the supermarket for basic supplies such as milk and the like.  I was also hopeful of some sort of eucalyptus lozenges to help ward off the occasional coughing fit!  Remember however that Saudi Arabia like the vast majority of Europe is left hand drive, not right hand drive as in Australia!

I was in the best condition to do the driving but it really felt like there were three drivers, Charli was telling me where to drive while Trish was constantly reminding me of any stop sign or traffic light.  Each time I went to turn the corner, the windscreen wipers came on instead of the traffic indicators.  But we made it all happen safely!

We had a BBQ outside for tea last night, just basic stuff as Trish isn't really eating anything!  The photos on this page are of the back yard and the cleared area behind each home.  Those huge boxes you can see in the bottom photo are the huge air con units for the houses nearby!

They are huge air con units but keep the homes so cool.  I reckon a little too cool.  The kids set theirs to 18º overnight and 23º during the day which is what I am sure they were told to do.  Every now and again I step outside for a warm up and you can instantly feel the warm blanketing feeling of 35º and around 65% humidity.

Regretfully I didn't quite give the camera enough time to warm up when I took these photos.  The misty effect on them is from the condensation when taking the camera from the cool inside to the hot humid outside.

Tonight Arj is taking me to the local town outside KAUST's walls for a haircut.  Now that should be an interesting blog post!

No comments: