Tuesday, May 26, 2015

A No. 4 in Thuwal is Not a No. 4 in Caloundra (Tuesday)

We have been away from home now for almost 7 weeks.

Over that time things move on and hair growing is one of those.  So much so that I reckoned I needed a haircut from one of the local barbers in the neighbouring Saudi village of Thuwal. Thuwal is outside the KAUST security area.

If Kate or Trish were to go to Thuwal they would need to be fully covered.  And remember to click on the photos for a larger view.

The original fishing village of Thuwal situated right on the Red Sea has now been relocated. KAUST now occupies the land where Thuwal used to be.  The seaside village has been moved inland a couple of k's.

Unlike KAUST where there is security everywhere, ID card checks, boot searches etc as you enter and leave the secure area, Thuwal is your everyday Saudi village.

It looks like a village in India or any of those other developing countries with mechanics achieving impossible tasks on huge trucks without a range of lifts or cranes.

You need to be aware of your footing as you walk on the footpath, things can be dusty and just not like what we are used to seeing.  It is Thuwal where Arj goes for the Pakistani or the Turkish food.   During my time there yesterday (well over an hour) I saw one woman and she was covered from head to toe.  I love checking out places like this.

It isn't anywhere like on a guided tour, it isn't anything like an overpriced excursion from a Cruise Ship, or yet another tour of a church or a castle somewhere in Europe.  It is real Saudi Arabia. all those former things are great too, but I really enjoy getting into the streets and enjoying what I find.

Thuwal is also where you go for a haircut.  This photo is not where I had the haircut (photo left) but another one of quite a few hairdressers in Thuwal.

Now the hairdresser we checked out speaks more English than I do Arabic.  So when it was my turn I had planned to tell him I wanted a No.4 which is what it says on the clippers Trish uses to cut my hair in Caloundra.

When it was my turn, up I went and I announced, "A no.4 please" to which he looked at me quizzically!  "No.4?" he asked me again just to make sure.  I answered, "Yes please".

He showed me the No.4 clipper and it didn't look quite the same as what Trish usually used on my hair!

There is about a week between a good and bad haircut so I thought, let's give it a go!  I think in this case there is more like two to three weeks between a good and a bad haircut!

It sure is short and not really a problem!

Now, with some Saudi chicken and chips in hand we headed back home, via the KAUST Compound's security and ID check.  Arj had the car boot checked for a second time this trip.

After returning to Kate's home we were ushered back into the car to go and collect Charli from one of her dancing classes here within the KAUST Compound.  She was at a nearby 'Rec Club" which has facilities for classes, table tennis and other sports.  It also has a sensational outdoor pool.

Looks great doesn't it?  We will head back there with the kids later on today (Tues).  They will get home from school early straight after lunch and we will spend an hour or so over there with them.

Left hand driving yet again!

We are both feeling better.  My cold is now just nuisance value as is Trish's.  I am still a little sniffly.  Trish still has a queasie tummy but has kept everything OK for the last 24 hours.  She just doesn't feel like eating!

We have found an English speaking sports channel on the TV showing the French Open.  Yesterday this channel showed Sam Groth, Bernard Tomic and Sam Stosur's matches live.  We enjoyed it very much.

No comments: