Thursday, May 15, 2014

Needs And Wants

Needs and Wants are two entirely separate things.  A "Need" is something which is required for your life style to continue, a "Want" is something quite different.

A "Want" is a great idea, something which could possibly be handy to have in the future but right now would make little or no difference to your lifestyle.

As my good wife Trish says, I have plenty of add on hard disk drives.  Right now I have both a 3TB and a 2TB powered Hard Drives attached to my PC.  On the 3TB drive I have my entire movie collection, on the 2TB I have all the programs I  have ever downloaded (almost) along with a backup one of the larger folders of movies which I have on the 3TB drive.

I also have 2 x 1TB portable drives.  One which I take with me everywhere with the most important Movies and TV Shows along with Backups of my major files on my PC.  I also have some 'portable' apps which allow me to use any computer as if it were my own with my own email and internet browser programs installed along with all my favorites etc.

I have backups of backups!  On the 2nd portable drive I have secondary backups of all my programs and some more movies.  Being portable drives I can cart the two drives around very easily which is handy when I visit Melbourne or other people's homes.

I also have another old 320GB drive attached to the modem/router with more backups of both Trish and my "important" backup files from her laptop and from my PC. 

So I don't 'need' another portable drive.  But when Dick Smith had a 'specials day' yesterday I relented to a 'want' and grabbed a 2TB portable drive at $124 delivered.  As you can see from the photo, the RRP of this drive is $159 so the price I bought it at was a bargain.

The older 2nd 1TB drive works on 'most' computers.  There are times when it is attached to someone else's computer and that computer doesn't 'see' it. It seems to be OK here at home but a time will come ....

That is my story and I am sticking to it.

We enjoyed 24mls of rain overnight.  Things were dry enough to ride this morning though. Right now there is plenty of sunshine around and it is a lovely day.  But some more showers may blow in off the ocean later today and give us a good sprinkle.

No comments: