Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Computers, Computers, Computers!

Computers have been taking much of my time today (Weds).  But it all started last evening around 4pm when Trish got a call from a friend who was having internet problems.  She couldn't connect to her Bigpond through her modem/router.

I popped around to see if I could help.  There was no wireless available and the indicator light wasn't on the modem/router.  And even connecting her new laptop to the modem router via a lead didn't work.  The internet light seemd to connect then it would repeatedly disconnect.

We tried connecting to another phone point in another room and this time the wireless light came on and the internet seemed to connect reasonably.  We returned everything to the previous phone point, plugged it in and powered up the modem!  Wireless came on, internet connected fine and everything was working perfectly!  I have no idea why it all worked this time!

I think the modem router is a bit flaky and will possible fail soon.  But she was happy to have her emails back and do some web surfing.

This morning I looked at three other computers, mainly just putting new movie files across.  The neighbour across the road could receive emails OK but couldn't send.  I added his phone's GMail account to his email program's accounts and he was at least able to send messages via that.

Some research in Google suggested restarting the modem/router might solve the problem so we gave it a try!  Bingo, we could again send but also now receive all his emails. He was pleased.

As you know I like to buy gadgets from China.  A few weeks ago I ordered a blue wireless mouse from China for $5-36 delivered!  See photo left.

Later I received an email saying that the blue mouse wasn't in stock but would be sent when available.  A few days later another mouse came up for sale.  So I ordered one of those.

And as you have probably guessed, both arrived in the mail today!  I sold one to a friend who hadn't got around to buying a wireless mouse yet for his new laptop.  He was battling a bit with the laptop's mouse pad.  But for $5-40 he now has a mouse.  His first comment was, "That's easier isn't it!"

Yesterday was our wedding anniversary so we had a lovely lunch back at our favorite "Headland Golf Club".  Big black clouds blew in and we had quite a bit of rain.  We had towels on the line at home along with my bike riding gear all drying.

The meal was very pleasant and we were delighted to find Caloundra had totally missed the showers and everything was dry!

Last night we watched a 3 part series from ITV in the UK called "Prey".  It was great, non-stop action and plenty of interesting twists which would keep you guessing as to who had done it. 

After that we watched another episode (90mins) of the UK BBC crime drama called Vera!   In this series of Vera there are 4 movie length episodes and that was episode 3.  We have one more to go and it should come through next week.  I should get it around Monday morning just before my bike ride.  Overnight showers put paid to any idea of a bike ride this morning I am afraid.

No comments: