Sunday, April 06, 2014

A Fiery Brew

The recliner chair weekend continues.  It was wall to wall footy over the weekend so far with several more matches on TV today!  Another good thing is that both Trish and my footy teams had great wins so far this weekend.

The weather looks great again but all is expected to change over night tonight.  It will be low 30's today we are told.

Computer Club was busy enough yesterday morning and I didn't get home till after midday.  But I managed to help a lot of people so that was good.

The brew I put on Friday seems to be quite fiery.  The photo left shows the 'top' of the brew container with its airtight screw top lid and the air lock which allows the build up of gas from the brewing process to escape.

When I awoke Saturday morning the top of the lid of the brew container had almost 1cm of beer in it!  There was froth all up through the airlock as well.  I managed to sponge the excess stuff off and washed out the airlock and put it all back together.

30 minutes later there was froth in the airlock again.  This time I ladled all the excess froth out only for the overflow problem to happen again about 40 minutes later.

This time I siphoned off about 1 bottle of beer and tossed it out.  Since then everything has remained under control.

Usually I slightly overfill the container but never before has there been any overflow.  I must admit this time I did quite overfill the container.  I added a heap of ice cubes to the brew to get the temperature down to 28º.  These ice cubes meant the brew level was around 1cm above the recommended level.

It will be interesting to see how this brew turns out!  Needless to say it won't be bottled until all bubbling has fully and completely stopped.

Because of the upcoming possible change in weather, I bottle washed this morning.

No comments: