Friday, September 30, 2011

Home Brew Day

Yesterday's promised 'downpour' yielded 1 solitary ml of rain! It was enough to wet the road and that is all. We have a stiff S/W wind today but temps still expected to be around 26 degrees.

With recent home brew failures I have been busy restocking supplies. Today was the day to bottle the black ale I recently made. I am now using all new equipment and a revised cleaning regime to hopefully get back on the right track. I am drinking an ale right now which still requires some 'help' to make it drinkable. I use a splash of lemonade to improve the taste. However I have been led to believe that the my brew wasn't so good because I used sugar substitutes which don't go well with a lager. It is great with a black, but not with ordinary lager.

I have taken to mixing the brew in a large stainless steel bowl. Mixing in the barrel can lead to scouring of the plastic base and creating a future haven for germs and bacteria.

I have another lager to try which has recently become 'available'. It is a 12th of September bottled brew so it will be interesting to see how it is.

Tomorrow is AFL Grand Final day. I will pop in to the Computer Club for an hour or so in the morning but then I am heading back home to take in the atmosphere and enjoy a few beers. Trish is buying the meat pies and the hot dogs today getting ready for tomorrow. It is to be a little cool and wet in Melbourne while we are expecting mid 20's ad sunny here.

No comments: