Friday, September 09, 2011

Busy, Busy, Busy.

After some delightful weather (mid 20's), today is still not cold but some rain has blown in from the west. It is probably the northern tip of what is currently sweeping through the southern states.

I have bought the phone referred to in the post below. The phone (a Galaxy S) is sensational and does heaps of things. However it is with the Optus network, the lesser network we have here and the signal I get at home is nowhere near as good as that provided by Telstra. I can still use it inside the house but for lengthy calls I need to move to the front bedroom for a totally clear call.

The new plan costs me $9 more per month than the old plan. With that I get around 7 hours of included calls at any time and to any Australian phone. This almost negates the 'just so' coverage we get at home. Also any unused call time at the end of a month is carried over into the next.

I can connect the new phone to my in home wi fi network and access all the internet stuff the phone provides. Probably the best thing is its ability play internet radio. As long as I am within home wi fi range, I can listen to any radio station anywhere. I like to tune in to the radio when I go to bed or first wake in the morning.

The new phone has been a huge learning curve for me. I have even created an email account just to use with this phone as it receives and sends emails as well.

The government has just OK'd the new housing development here. It is a little controversial as the developer got so hung up with the local Council that they bypassed it and went straight to the government for a decision! Eventually the new development will be home for over 50,000 people when fully completed. This is just the first 'stage' of the development and it is referred to as Bellvista II. We have been promised that both Telstra and Optus will extend their mobile phone networks to accommodate Bellvista II!

The local press is having a party over it and with me as the President of the Community Association I have been in the thick of it all. I did a radio interview with the local ABC yesterday afternoon, a quick bit on the local Channel 9 news last night and later today I am doing something for the Channel 10 News.

Much of the controversy is caused by the new development's close proximity to the Caloundra Airport. I am guessing this is what will be the focus of things this afternoon when Channel 10 want to talk to me.

We have issues with helicopter training flights which occur directly above the estate. It is the repetitive circuits where they practise take offs and landings which are the problem. When this is happening it can go on for several hours. It can make sitting outside a bit of a pain to have the noise there going on and on.

I bottle washed today which was a brave thing to do considering the weather has turned wet! By the way, I took the photo with the camera on the new phone!

It is a big weekend for sport on TV. My team plays Trish's team in the first match of the AFL finals tonight. There are then three more finals footy matches over the weekend and all live on TV. There is coverage of the second cricket Test from Sri Lanka on TV as well.

Should be a good weekend.

No comments: