Monday, June 13, 2011

Winter Hits

It brought back memories of living in Melbourne. On Thursday the max temp was a record low of 14 degrees. At least in Melbourne you have proper heating, unlike here where you may need a heater for 6 weeks of the year! It was a record low Max temperature for this part of the world. The sky was gray and it drizzled all day! We closed the blinds to keep any warmth inside and then ran the air con in reverse cycle just to warm the house up.

Friday was a little better but not much. By Saturday the max was back up to 19 or so and then on Sunday it was around 20. But both Saturday and Sunday was sunny and it was glorious sitting in the sunshine out of the wind.

My cold has all but gone, no more dizziness, just the occasional sniffle every now and again. Computer Club was busy again but I was able to help people out.

On Friday I went around to a mate's place (another computer club member) to do some stuff on his PC. He had some pop ups on his screen from his anti-virus which were worrying him. That took a few minutes to sort out but we managed to get rid of them. He wanted me to install Photoshop for him. He had failed to install it despite using an official CD with the program on it.

He couldn't find the CD, he tipped the place upside down looking for it unsuccessfully. In the searching he knocked my 850GB external hard drive off the table onto the floor. I managed to get it to go again for a short while but after that it was dead! It had cost me $126. He was upset and I wasn't too happy either.

I managed to copy the install folder across to his PC before it died. I installed it and cracked it for him. However a call the next day told me the crack had failed. He also wanted to replace my drive. In the end we went halves in a replacement. I got a bigger and better drive.

Harvey Norman had 1TB portable drives on special for $98. He drove me to the store and we could only see a $199 model on display, not the $98 model advertised in their junk mail. They sold me the $199 model for $98. The Photoshop crack had failed on his PC so I had to do it again, this time manually. It now seems to have worked.

It took about 8 hours to copy the stuff back onto the new drive.

Trish and my football teams clashed on Saturday night. The last 6 games have been very close matches with my team winning all six of them. This match was no different with my side winning by 5 points! It was a cliff hanger.

Today is a home brew day. I haven't had a brew on for a month, mainly because I wasn't drinking while I was sick. But I have put a brew of "Gold" (a lager) on this morning. The mandatory bottle washing will occur later in the week and most likely I will bottle next Monday.

Trish has been out all weekend. Her Arts Association had a Fair over the weekend where members were able to sell some of the things they had made. The Association takes a percentage of whatever is sold. Trish was at the fair on both Saturday and Sunday. She made some small flowers and sold most of them. She will collect about $90 from her sales.

This morning (Monday), as a Committee Member, Trish is at the "reconciliation meeting'. This afternoon she is doing another volunteer stint at the Tourist Information Centre. She will be back home around 5 pm.

Today is a public holiday here so I have just finished a 12k bike ride, I have made a brew and I have updated my blog. Next I will jump in the shower, then check out the internet and this afternoon there is a footy match live on TV from the MCG. I will sit back, enjoy a couple of ales and watch the game!

No comments: