Friday, June 17, 2011

A Busy Day

My new PC is able to accommodate USB 3 external hard disk drives. I always keep backups of everything. It has been a wonderful life saver at times with valuable documents and programs always backed up in case of emergency. Keeping copies of my movies is another big space user as well. I have my new portable 1TB Samsung drive which is very handy when I go to someone's home. With my Samsung external drive with me it is as if I am taking my own PC with me and I usually do need it to access a program or some movies.

I have had a powered external drive as well which is my first port of call for backup on the new PC. It is a 1TB drive and remains attached to the computer 24/7. Being 1TB is a little limiting and led to me deleting quite a few older movies recently. A 2TB drive would set you back around $100 nowadays. I was very pleasantly surprised to see one of the electrical stores in Maroochydore (Officeworks) had a powered Western Digital 2TB USB 3 drive on sale for $114. My local Dick Smith store also had it on special but going for $124. They did a 'price match' for me so I grabbed one. It took quite some time to set it all up but now it is running perfectly. The USB3 feature is about twice as fast as a usual USB2 connection.

It has been a busy day getting the new drive all setup. On top of that I put in a 12 kilometre bike ride this morning. Then I washed and dried 32 bottles for my next bottling. This takes about an hour and a half to do.

I also used a spray mix of 1 part pool chlorine to 2 parts water on some of the grubby pavers around the pool. I then gave them a sturdy sweep with a soft bristled broom and later washed them down with the hose.

The pavers have had a rough trot and have had extensive work on them(by the supplier) to get them looking reasonable. We suspect they were a poor lot from the manufacturer. So right now they look pretty good!

The new Hard Disk Drive (HDD) comes with a power adapter. I use a large power board with individual switches for my PC stuff. I just find the PC seems to work better if it is totally removed from all electrical power when I shut it down. We also use it as a power saving feature. Unfortunately the larger power HDD adapter wouldn't fit so I had to move the whole board about 4cms to the left.

It is in a rotten position just under a shelf on the "Office" table and getting the two securing screws into the rear of the table in exactly the right position took, time, energy and patience. The latter isn't one of my strong points. I had to crouch and carefully maneuver the board and re adjust the screws before I got it to fit properly! It wasn't one of my favorite jobs!

I have decided I am not as young as I used to be!

It is a nice sunny day with the temp around 20 degrees. It is quite blowy outside today making it a little less pleasant than other recent days. Still it was extremely comfortable out there as Trish and I ate our lunch today. There are some cooler mornings due over the next few days with one morning expected to be around 5 degrees. Most days will be into the low 20's though.

No comments: