Saturday, January 09, 2010

Home After A Hectic Time

We are now home again and sorting out things around the house after being away for three weeks. The lawn has been mown and Trish gave the house a quick vacuum too.

Meanwhile earlier in the week in Canberra my sister Judy and her other half Peter arrived Tuesday afternoon. We hadn't seen each other for some time so we had some catching up to do. Then Trish and I went to Canberra airport to collect my brother's wife Jeanette who had flown up from Melbourne. We were all in the same motel so catching up and enjoying a few drinks was easy to do. We walked to a local Chinese and enjoyed a meal.

The funeral for my uncle was on Wednesday and we made sure we were there in time. The service (where I gave a eulogy) was fairly short and was followed by a burial. From there it was too a local club for refreshments. Peter and I made sure we didn't over indulge, actually we were still a little seedy from the night before! I caught up with some relations and my cousins.

From there it was back to the motel for more drinks and chatting! It was great to catch up but it is disappointing when it takes a funeral to get us all together like this. It was really good fun.

Dinner was some more take away food in the motel room. The girls had a great Wednesday night while the guys hit their respective beds a little earlier.

Trish and I were on the road for the 1400k drive back home early Thursday morning. The part of Australia we were to drive through had enjoyed heavy recent rains. The countryside was lovely and green, looking more like it was spring rather than mid summer. Usually the paddocks would be yellow with dry grass at this time of year but as you can see it was lovely and green.

We spent the night at Moree and then drove on to Caloundra the next day arriving home about 12:30 local time.

Tony, a friend of mine here on the estate, had kept an eye on things while we were away so the place looked great when we arrived home. Tony had even cleaned the pool for me so I could enjoy a swim. Thanks Tony!

No comments: