Thursday, May 17, 2007

A Timely Update!

It has been a few days since I have done anything to my blog page. Our caravanning friends from Drouin have moved on and are currently in Childers, the scene of a horrific fire at a backpacker's hostel a few years ago. They are using it as a 'centre' to explore Hervey Bay and other nearby spots. Russ informs me his digital set top box is providing them with an excellent TV picture! They seem to think their next spot to stop may be around Yepoon, a popular spot with caravanners on the coast about 40 k's from Rockhampton.

About 3 months ago I began to subscribe to a monthly computer magazine. It is full of interesting news and is accompanied by a DVD disk full of software. The software is usually free programs or what they call "Trials". Trials are usually active for 30 or 60 days before they no longer operate unless you buy them.

However with some of the internet sites I like to visit I often come across these trial programs and a way to convert them from "Trial" to fully operational full working programs.

One such program off the magazine DVD is a program which is part of the Office 2007 Suite called "Expression Web". The trial program is due to run for 60 days but following a quick "SOS" request to one of 'my' sites I received a message containing the code to 'unlock' the Trial to a fully working version. Expression Web (valued at over $300) is used for creating and modifying Web Pages. It is the follow on program for Microsoft's Frontpage 2003.

So the last few days have seen me slaving over the computer updating the web site of our trip to Vietnam and China last year. A link is on the right hand side of this blog page. I have been able to put much larger pictures on the web site and you can see them all much more clearly now. Have a visit and tell me what you think.

This photo shows the computer screen as I uploaded the reworked web page to the Bigpond server on the internet. The pane on the right of the computer screen is my computer while the pane on the left shows my web space at Bigpond. You may need to click on the photo for a larger view to see this more clearly.

It is a bit frustrating at times and requires a fair bit of trial and error. I began to do the page with "Dreamweaver", then modified it a bit with "Frontpage" and I have now reworked it with "Expression Web" So some of the things Dreamweaver does is not fully compatible with how Frontpage or Expression Web like to work.

I am due to get my replacement Router/Modem I had to return to DLink in the day or so and we can get out home network fully operational again.

I expect to move to Broadband late in July after we return from Melbourne.

Last night I had my first try at a "Black Ale" I had recently brewed and found it very pleasant to the palate!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was really good to see the computer screen upload on your blog dad, I have no idea why you call this Blog boring.
All is well with me in sunny, rainy, sunny, rainy, sunny, rainy Melbourne! Only 3 weeks of night classes, but who's counting. Kim