Friday, February 27, 2015

Showery Start To Friday

My cold/hay fever is improving slowly.  I am taking "Cold Tablets" now to keep the heavy head cold symptoms under control.

The replacement brand new modem/router is up and running and seems to have solved the problem at this stage.  We will reserve judgment for a few more days just yet before announcing my recent internet problems are all solved.

The $20 32GB memory stick turned out to be  USB3 when I collected it yesterday.  I was pleasantly surprised to get what appears to be a pretty good deal at a pretty good price.  USB3 means it can update files etc at a much quicker rate than the standard USB2.

My $6-95 32GB memory stick I ordered from China arrived as well. I have transferred all the files from the older and smaller sticks I had been using.  I take these with me to Computer Club where I sometimes require files and programs I have brought from home.

Another part of yesterday was to check out possible new computer furniture to replace the big table and hutch I currently use.  What I have is large, heavy but extremely practical.  What we saw yesterday was smarter, smaller and less practical.

However it seems I could do the vast majority of things that I can do now with the new 3 piece setup. Most importantly it will all 'fit' and allow easy access to the phone point in the 'office'. At this stage the phone point is under the table behind a large piece of backing timber from the table.

There is plenty of flexibility using 3 separate pieces of furniture which would make it easier to access the phone point.

As we were working through the recent problems with the internet we slowly but surely eliminating possible causes.  The line outside the house was apparently fine, the connection into the RIM was swapped over thus eliminating the most common problem areas of the phone line into the house.

So the problem had to be somewhere inside our home. That lead us to the leads I was using, the modem/router or the house telephone wiring.  As we live in a sub-tropical area, rusting is always a possibility and perhaps the telephone point connection was rusty and requiring replacement.

To replace the telephone point I use for internet would mean the technician would not have easy safe access which he would require.

Any change we make to the setup in the office would have to make access to the phone point much easier if required. But the new proposed office equipment looks pretty sharp don't you think?

My cold meant I wasn't keen on a bike ride this morning.  Then when we received a decent shower of rain this justified the decision not to ride.  It should be around 30º again today with the clouds clearing to a sunny day.  A good day for drying the bottles for my next brew which I will bottle on Monday!

No comments: