Thursday, July 19, 2012

Almost a Week Later!

I received a bit of a shock when I saw it was almost a week since my last post.  On the health front Trish has improved markedly but is still a bit clogged up with her cold.  On the other side I have become a little worse the last few days but still moving pretty well.  I got a sore throat and the rest is history.

The weather is the major topic of discussion.  It has been cloudy and wet with heavy showers sweeping through.  Fortunately most rain is over night.  Most mornings we awake to find around 10mls in the rain gauge.  I have managed only 1 bike ride in around a week because of wet roads in the morning.

The days have been OK, some clouds about but generally sunny and around 21 degrees so the washing machine has been working overtime.  Only the other day Trish managed to get all the washing dry from our recent visitors.

I have been doing help on people's computer problems and today the old 'TV" went to a new home.  We 'gave' it away.

I continue to 'play' with the settings on the new TV trying to get a better picture.  I am getting used to the new one and I am coming to realise the picture settings on the old TV were too much color and the contrast was all over the place.

The new TV has received high praise for the way it shows black.  Black is extremely difficult for TV's to show accurately.  Previously black would look a little 'washed out'.  The new TV has very black "BLACK" and this has ramifications for other settings.  But I have found a control called "Gamma" on the TV and when I lower the gamma rate, the picture brightens.

We have just finished watching Boardwalk Empire Series 1.  I have series 2 to look at as well.  We enjoyed the series.

We are getting into the swing of hosting visitors again as friends Russell and Irene are visiting us from down south early in August.  Russ has been a convert to using the media player and is enjoying TV Series in particular. 

I am to purchase a 1TB portable drive for him and fill it with TV shows and movies.  I see in today's Junk Mail that Dick Smith has a 1TB portable USB3 drive for $119 which is about as cheap as you can get it nowadays.

No comments: