Sunday, July 25, 2010

Showery Sunday

Awoke to wet grass and roads this morning and 9mls in the rain gauge. It had been overcast most of yesterday which must have turned into rain overnight.

I managed my first bike ride for some time on Friday. Usually I don't ride when we have visitors but then I missed Thursday as my bottle washing was a 'must do'. Also on Thursday I had to accompany Trish to the eye doctor in case I was required to drive home. It appears it will be another 5 weeks till things settle down and Trish can get new glasses. I think there are times when she wishes she hadn't had the procedure done.

We enjoyed our usual Friday afternoon "Meeting" with the others. We had a good chat and shared the week's adventures.

Saturday saw me back to the Computer Club again. The major problem I have to deal with appears to be email. A lot of people just go online and visit their ISP's website to read their mail that way. Others use various programs (usually Windows Mail) to access their emails on their computer. Others have Office on their computer and then Microsoft Outlook takes over all the email functions. Outlook is a business version of an email program and has heaps of things the normal little old 70 year old lady doesn't want!

I had this problem with a club member on Saturday who was using "Outlook". To complicate things she had inadvertently subscribed to a U.S. newspaper 'RSS feed'. Every time she went to access her email she would automatically download up to 20 U.S. newspaper headlines into Outlook as well. I worked out how to cancel the RSS Feed and then was able to reconfigure Outlook so she could receive her emails. Next Saturday I will switch her across to Thunderbird version 2. This version of Thunderbird is as close as you will get to the old fashioned (and now out of favour) Outlook Express. People seemed to find Outlook Express easy to use and Thunderbird version 2 has a real Outlook Express feel about it.

Watching footy on TV has been the norm over the weekend. With no sun about yesterday we even had the heater turned on for a while.

I thought the story below was worth adding to my Blog page.

No comments: