Thursday, October 08, 2009

A Cool Thursday

A cool southerly change blew in yesterday afternoon. Just prior to the change there were storms about. Maroochydore, 20k's north of us received 35 mls, we got 1 ml! Today the temp is around the low to mid 20's.

It appears that sometime recently my PC has had quite a hiccup. Many settings have been changed and my Office 2003 stopped working properly. I have now uninstalled Office 2003 and I have installed what is called a "Portable" version of Office 2007. A portable version is a version you can carry around on a USB stick. You just plug it in to a USB port, navigate to the "Word" icon on the USB stick where you click on it and then up pops Word 2007.

When Office 2007 is fully 'installed' various bits and pieces get installed all over your computer. Quite a few folders are installed into a folder called Documents and settings (XP) or App Data (Vista). With a 'portable version', the 'bits' are all retained in the one folder on your PC. My Portable Office 2007 has Word, Excel and Powerpoint included. I downloaded a copy of "Powerpoint Viewer" (a freebie from Microsoft) and then I downloaded a portable version of Publisher 2003. All work very well. The beauty of using portable versions is they are outside Microsoft's Genuine Advantage scheme which detects illegal copies of Office installed on people's computers. Then you get pop-up messages saying your copy of Office is not legal.

Wednesday morning was spent sorting out my PC hassles. I found time to update the Bellvista Community Association website and bring it up to date. You can check out the website I built and maintain HERE. In the afternoon I was a representative of our local Community Association at a 'signing' of a memorandum Of Understanding between SCRC and three community associations.

On Tuesday night Trish and I watched a movie called "Black Book". It told the story of a female Dutch Resistance fighter during WWII. It was 'inspired by true events' and both Trish and I enjoyed it very much. Much of the movie was subtitles but we found this did not get in the way of the story. It was great.

John Logan has been home for a few nights. He has now set Skype up on his laptop and he was amazed at how it all worked last night when he was setting me up as his first 'Skype contact'.

A quiet day today tidying up, giving the house a quick clean and messing around.

No comments: