Thursday, October 30, 2008

PC Still Not 100%

I am still using trial and error to finally sort out some problems from my recent PC reformat. Yesterday the computer started to 'freeze' on me, usually at the end of startup which is when I have set up "Skype" to start. My router modem also tends to freeze and sometimes it loses connection with the internet. At other times the VoIP just drops out. (VoIP is telephone calls over the internet).

The modem router has been anything but rock solid lately losing connection all the time. So I have reset the router modem to "Factory Reset" then put in my settings for internet and VoIP again. Is the problem caused by the router modem which causes the PC to freeze or does the PC cause the router modem to freeze? I also tried a System Restore to back before the freezing began! From left to right the 'lights' are Power On, (W/LAN) Wireless is running', (LAN 1) the main PC is connected, (CA) VoIP is connected, (ADSL) Internet is connected. There have been times when the W/LAN, or CA or ADSL light doesn't come on at start up or the light just goes out indicating connection has been dropped!

Last night I downloaded three movies, a total of 2.1 GB. I set the download to happen overnight. I went to bed and during an overnight 'pitstop' I looked in on the computer and I reckoned the computer had frozen again. After restarting it, I saw the three movies had been downloaded OK. The PC must have 'frozen' after the downloading had been completed. If it had something to do with the downloading, possibly a full modem router factory reset was the way to go. We will see. I have now tried that too!

We watched the new Coen Brothers movie "Burn After Reading" the other night. I just loved it but you need a special (warped) sense of humour to enjoy any movie made by the Coen brothers! Trish thought the movie was just OK.

Another movie we both enjoyed was "Butterfly On A Wheel" with Pierce Brosnan. Early on it seemed a little tedious but the ending certainly was fantastic. Sometimes this movie is known as "Shattered".

The computer and modem router are working beautifully right now!

No comments: