Sunday, October 25, 2015

An Overcast Sunday

The forecast yesterday (Saturday) was for a possible morning shower clearing to a fine and sunny afternoon.  The 11mls of rain in the rain gauge this morning indicates we didn't get the weather that was forecast.

It continues overcast and mid 20's today but it is brighter outside now than earlier this morning.  And as the photo shows, bottle washing has been completed as well.  The pool is full, the grass out the front is turning green again and all the garden and pots have had a good water.

After bottle washing I went for an 'abbreviated' ride but I still did 10k's.  The pool felt better than it looked when I had a post ride swim!

There isn't a lot of news....   I won't bore you with swapping the batteries over in the weather station (was that a gasp of relief I heard?).  Getting the main unit to connect to the outside weather sensor for the outdoor temperature is always a bit hit and miss.

I reckon I used several sets of batteries before giving up with the outside temp area blank on the main display unit.  I just couldn't get it to connect.  eBay was the next port of call and a replacement ordered!  Just as I was about to toss the old unit out, I noticed the temperature outside was 26°!  The bloody thing had connected.

The Android Box works at about 90%.  It is OK but not perfect.  It won't turn off sometimes and the sound jumps a little as well.  Trish said to get and better quality one but I said I had one more trick to try!

I use Trish's old laptop as a backup and for most of the day it just sits there.  Regretfully it doesn't have an HDMI out connection on it.  But via eBay you can buy VGA + audio to HDMI converters.  So I have ordered one of those and will try running the old laptop as a HTPC (Home Theatre PC).  The converter is due around midweek.  It won't do high quality sound as the old laptop just doesn't have the hardware/software to do that sort of thing.

But we will give it a go.

Most likely I will lash out and buy myself a quality Android TV Box unit for Christmas.  Cheap ones are around $100 (or less),  OK ones are closer to $140 and good ones are anything from $200 to $300!  The Nvidia Shield unit is over $300!

The one in the photo is around $200 depending on where you buy it from, what it is preloaded with and if you want an 'air mouse' to control it.In the photo you can see the standard remote control, you really need an 'air mouse' or as I have a portable wireless keyboard!

They are amazing gadgets!

No comments: