Thursday, June 25, 2015

Online Update


We have been with the new ISP now for a full week with our new internet connection.  I have noticed the speed is slightly slower by up to 10%.   Most of the stuff I get takes around 5 minutes to come through so it now may take 5.5 minutes.  The connections itself has been rock solid.  Overall I am quite satisfied with the move.

I have been keeping my eye open to upgrade my tablet.  We both started out with 'cheap' Chinese imports but Trish now has a very workman like Samsung Tab 4 10.1"  It is great, especially when we were overseas recently.  It picked up low strength WiFi much quicker and steadier than my cheap $160 Chinese brand tablet. But most importantly the model Trish has starts up reasonably quickly. My tablet takes an eternity just to start up and be usable!

The 10.1" model is about to be superseded by a new 9.7" model.  The older model has a RRP of $349 while the new one is around $400.  Trish bought her older model one for $269 along with a $20 store credit in February before we went away.  So I have been keeping my eye out for one at around $250.  You could get a $244 deal late in May but that was only available while we were overseas.

Then yesterday eBay had a special one day deal where buy anything costing over $200 and you get a $50 eBay Voucher to be spent on eBay in July.  Many of the larger chain stores here have an eBay online store so I bought the tablet for $298 with a $50 voucher to be added to my account on July 1st from one of the large chain stores with a near-by branch.

Trish has her eye on a 'white' kettle from the same large local chain store at $78.  The plan is to spend the $50 voucher along with $28 of our own money and buy the white kettle after July 1st.

I have selected 'click and collect' ( I go to the store and pick it up) but received a call from them yesterday saying they only had a 'display' model left and would I settle for that?  I declined the offer so they are chasing up a brand new 'still in the box' model for me.  Being the end of the model, I hope there is one left somewhere.

Right now we have a glorious blue sky outside but earlier it was cold, gray and overcast. I shortened my ride to 8k's this morning as it was extremely chilly riding about on such a cold gray morning.

We had a great meal on Tuesday evening with friends who have had many Cruising holidays.  We caught up with them for a chat and to compare our cruising experiences. We received some valuable feedback from them, had a great meal and lots of wonderful conversation.

The footy is on again tonight on TV so we are back into the swing of it all later on.

No comments: