Monday, December 15, 2014

It Felt Like Winter!

At this time of the year and in this part of the world you do not expect to get a top temperature of a mere 22º in December.  But that is what we got on Friday!  We closed windows and doors to keep the warm in.  We had strong and blustery southerly winds and heavy overcast gray skies.

It was the sort of weather where you 'rugged up' and watched a movie or two!

Luckily I had the cricket to watch from Adelaide.

On Friday another brew went on.  The recent trip to Melbourne put my brewing timeline out of whack so I have to do two brews almost one after the other to get back into sync.  After sweating like crazy the other day during a bottling, I was "rugged up" to do the new brew because of the cooler weather.  By rugged up I mean I wore a T-Shirt rather than a singlet!

The brew went off like crazy.  By Saturday afternoon it was bubbling away and even 'overflowing' with froth forcing its way out through the air lock and making a mess on the lid. I cleaned the mess up several times during Saturday afternoon.

By Sunday it had quietened down and was sticking more to plan.

The poor cold and drizzly weather put a stop to my bike riding for a few days.  On Sunday I delivered Community Newsletters in the drizzle but this morning Monday blue clear skies had returned and I was off riding.  This morning I rode over 12k's, I cleaned the pool (which was dirty after the rain/drizzle we have had dragging dust out of the air and depositing it into my pool) and then the pool filter.

Last week's cooler weather produced a total of 16mls of rain.

After that I have washed and sanitized 30 bottles to get ready for a bottling.  Currently they are drying off.  Then I even mowed the front lawn! Click on the photo above for a larger view.

With the brew bubbling away uncontrollably there for a while means it will be ready to bottle sooner rather than later!

My swim in the pool after the bike ride was a little shorter than normal for December.  The cold days and cooler nights meant the water temperature was just above 22º which after 28º is quite a shock to the system.  But now just before lunch it is almost back up to 25º so it should be back to summer normal pool temperature by late Tuesday afternoon as long as we get warm nights.

Currently we are watching the TV Series "Gracepoint".  This is a USA version of the British hit series "Broadchurch".  Gracepoint follows a similar line to Broadchurch but we are promised a 'different' ending!  We are enjoying it a lot.

Over the last couple of days I have 'acquired' the TV series "Marco Polo" which had all 10 episodes released on US Netflix over the weekend.


No comments: