Friday, August 15, 2014

Well Deserved Rain

The Sunshine Coast has not had a decent fall of rain for several months.  The lawns and parks surely provide heaps of evidence of this.  However this morning I tipped 14mls out of the rain gauge from heavy showers yesterday and overnight.  The worst of the welcome rain is till to fall over the weekend.

The lawns and gardens will get a much deserved drink. But it does make getting clothes dry much more difficult.  The overcast weather means it is a little cooler than usual as well!

A planned lunch at Headland Golf Club yesterday (Thurs) with Gordon and Anne was put on hold because of the inclement weather.  We visited the local Dicky Beach Surf Club instead and enjoyed a great meal and a couple of beers together.

Trish heads off on a two night weekend away with around 50 other ladies from Stitchers this afternoon. They aren't travelling far away but some good laughs will make for a great weekend for them.  I will be forced to sit at home and watch the footy on TV as the rain tumbles down!

My PC didn't want to start again yesterday morning.  A 'startup' item was conflicting with Windows causing the PC to 'hang'.

I have a little program on my PC called "Winpatrol".  It monitors new programs which have been installed and then want to open at start up without my knowledge.  If you download a nasty which wants to install itself at the next start up, Winpatrol puts up a little message seeking your permission for this startup.  It is a very handy program.

But Winpatrol also allows you to delay some 'naturally' starting up programs from beginning during the PC Startup.  I have taken a 'calculated' guess at what programs may be causing the conflict, and timetabled them to start up after Windows has loaded. 

The start up delay can be set from 30 seconds to whatever you want. This makes minimal difference to the way the overall operation of the PC.  Right now everything is working fine.

It also has the added advantage of allowing the PC to start up more quickly.

I have also installed another program called True Launch Bar into which I have put categories for my most used tasks.So if I want to do something with burning discs I go to my "Nero" category and there are all my disc burning type programs ready to go.

Into one category I have placed an icon which I can push and it opens several programs at once, my email preview program, my RSS Feed and my Skype program all at the one time.  I use this for when I expect to be online for a period of time.

At this stage, all is working perfectly and my PC is running fine again!

Today's Facebook page from Kate in Saudi Arabia shows Charli watching the latest episodes of "Neighbours" on their TV.  

No comments: