Monday, September 09, 2013

Back In Berwick

Our overnight stay with Kim in St Kilda was a lot of fun despite the footy being less than desired!  Geelong was highly favoured to win the game but went down by several goals. At least I now get to see them play this Friday night.  Finishing second gives them a second chance.

The first job upon arrival at Kim's unit was to replace the 'neck' on the TV stand.  It broke some time ago leaving the TV to sit on the broken neck and be propped up!  A friend of Kim's (Dave) was a lot younger than me so he did all the spade work.  We had to work out how it all went together which we did eventually. The TV looks a lot better now.

As I said above the footy was less than sensational that afternoon on TV.  We managed several quiet ales and glasses of wine as we watched the game unfold.

A quick walk down the street after the footy to Coles saw us buy meat for a BBQ tea.  Then a few more drinks and we settled in to watch the Collingwood Port Adelaide match.  This was another turn up for the books with Port Adelaide getting up to win by 4 goals.

There was a very noisy party going on downstairs.  Once I removed my hearing aids it improved markedly for me when trying to get to sleep.  A visit from the local police turned the loud noise totally off just after midnight.  When you live in a unit like Kim does, the behaviour of your neighbours around you is important.

We awoke Sunday morning for a shower, breakie and for me to get ready to attend another footy match at the MCG, this time Richmond vs Carlton.  I saw on TV that the match was due to start at 2:20 but this information was incorrect.  I therefore had planned to get to the ground around midday for the 2:20 start.

When I arrived at the ground well before midday, there was a huge queue as you can see in the photo above.  The match was starting at 3:20 and the ground wouldn't be opened till 12:30.

I was glad I was there so early.  After the queue started to move at 12:30, I got into the ground and a a perfect seat in my perfect spot. I was in the back row and with a large screen TV just above my eyeline for replays!

The queue moved extremely quickly and despite being 100 metres back it only took around 5 minutes to get in. Click on the photos for a larger view.

All the lining up and time spent waiting was worth it.  I grabbed some lunch and a cold beer to wash it down.  Later I found quiet place to sit in an arm chair and then eventually I got back to my seat around 2 pm for a good chat with those around me.

It was a great game with the third underdog team for weekend getting up to win.  The crowd of 95,000 went ballistic as the teams entered the ground and the noise level remained constant throughout the day.

Needless to say my train home was punctured by a stop at Clayton and our favorite restaurant.  Trish drove in from Berwick (she had attended a piano recital where our grand daughter Charli was performing). The Char Koay Teow, the Roti and Coconut Rice were magnificent, the Beef Rendang OK.

After we got back to Kate's I was so tired.  Eventually I slept for 8.5 hours, a first for me for a couple of years! Tonight we are off to the school "Production" in which both Kate and Arj are heavily involved.

With Kate and Arj being out all the three nights of the production and Charli being heavily involved, Trish and I will be baby-sitting as required.  The kids will be exhausted and only attending school on parts of the next few days. James is only on-stage tonight so he will be exhausted tomorrow and will probably stay home from school.

No comments: