Thursday, September 19, 2013

Almost $1000!

The photo shows the new blind which was installed yesterday afternoon.  It is on the western side of the new shelter and should block out most of the afternoon sun from streaming in.  It will increase the shade availabe remarkably!

Also in the photo is the pool pump cover.  Inside the cover is the 'chlorinator' which is now 8 years old.  The guy at the pool shop checked it all over yesterday and his description of the electrode's condition was "It is knackered!"  He had previously quoted me almost $500 for a replacement.  If the major part of the chlorinator was also a problem it would be a total for a new unit of $1000 to replace.

He managed a new electrode for me at less than $400.  That works out at around $1 per week over 8 years!  By the time you add the cost of electricity to run the chlorinator it would be around $1 per day.  Each week chlorine for the pool via the chlorinator costs around $8.  To purchase 20 litres of chlorine per week works out at almost $20 per week.

The new blind and replacing the chlorinator electrode set us back almost $1,000!

Most surprisingly I was able to remove and replace the electrode myself.  I did break a small plastic piece when removing it.  The electrode had swollen a little with wear and wouldn't slip out easily.  But all is working fine again, heaps of chlorine is being produced and all should be fine.

It is in the low 30's outside right now (just before lunch) in our enclosed back yard.  It should be cooler over the weekend but just perfect when Kate, Arj and family arrive on Tuesday.

I did around 13k's on my bike ride this morning.

As the photo shows we have a few magpies keeping a special eye out for old blokes on bikes!

But the cable ties made quite a difference between my experience yesterday before the cable ties and today after the cable ties. Though swooped again, this morning they kept their distance.
 
After my ride I  put a brew on.  It will be ready to bottle late next week when the grand kids are here.  They made a special request to help me with my beer!

No comments: