Saturday, September 07, 2013

All Sorted At Last

It has taken almost a week but our porting problem from Kogan to Boost has at last been sorted. The saga is set out below.

There were errors made by both Boost and ourselves when trying to port Trish's number from Kogan to Boost last weekend (Saturday). The error I made when we were attempting to activate the port was I supplied incorrect details, I used Trish's details rather than mine. For some strange reason my Trish's mobile number is in my name.

We corrected these 'ownership details' in a phone call to Boost on Monday.

Then Boost assigned the wrong person's name to our new Boost sim card. Boost evidently ported our number but did not assign it to any sim card on Monday. This caused our service to be disconnected while the number was held in "quarantine".

Eventually this was all sorted on Thursday and we were told to buy a new Boost sim card ($2) and activate it by phone. When trying to activate the new sim card the Boost person doing it was unable to port our number across from Kogan as Kogan no longer had the number and the phone number was disconnected.

Boost cannot port numbers from another carrier when the number has been disconnected.

The Boost operator did not check details closely and did not see our number was already ported to Boost but had been 'quarantined'. Because the number couldn't be ported we were assigned a new number.

On the Boost system the status "quarantined" can mean various things but most commonly it means a port is in progress.

Eventually (after several more 1 hour phone calls) an operator did note the quarantined status of our number and decided to check it with a Case Manager. When checking all became clear. They were waiting for the serial of the new sim which was in our name.

Our former Kogan number (0409948604) was then assigned to the new sim and at around 6 pm last night it was working fine.

I am not sure who was more patient, ourselves or the many Boost operators with whom I spoke!

I saw my first live AFL match for 2013 last night when I went to the MCG to watch Hawthorn vs Sydney.  I miscalculated my arival time so I was forced to find a spot other than my preferred spot to watch the game.

The game is much faster live than on TV.  The bumps also seem much harder live.  The precision kicking of players was just amazing.

It was a huge thrill to be there despite the very low teens temperature.  Getting home at 11:30pm isn't much chop for an old bloke either!

No comments: