Friday, May 31, 2013

64 Mls Later

Thursday afternoon the showers suddenly turned into a torrential downpour.  There were 64mls in the gauge this morning. Needless to say the bike remained under the back veranda.

Despite the inclement weather I did journey to Golden Beach and the Li Noodle Bar last night to purchase my take away tea.  For $10-80 I had oodles of Kway Teow noodles!  I just managed to finish them the serve was so generous.  The noodles are the genuine thing but a lot of the other ingredients are nowhere near as good or varied as what we get in Melbourne.  Still, I really enjoyed them last night.

The neighbours have a new pup.  It is going to be a big dog when it finishes growing.  It hasn't been walked since the showers started and before that it is only 'to school and back', a little over a km.  When they go out and leave it on its own, it barks almost incessantly.  The other day they were out for 90 minutes and it barked for almost 80 of those minutes. I didn't deliberately time it, you just noticed when the barking stopped!

It is a deep growl of a bark, not like it is a yapper. I mentioned to Brett that their dog was barking while they were away.  His answer was that it is only a pup at this stage and doesn't know any better!  It would improve as it got older.

They were a little stricter with it yesterday, any small bark as I moved about the back yard was greeted with a scold.

They have gone out again today, (it is Caloundra Show Holiday here) and there is no noise from next door at all.  I am not sure what is happening.

Ian is popping around for a few beers later today which will be good.  It seems it will just be the two of us which suits me fine.

With Trish due back Sunday I have prepared myself a Chicken Satay casserole which will do me for the two remaining evening meals.  To extend it out a bit I have added peas, carrot and potatoes.

Looks alright I reckon!

I took a few minutes today and swapped my two media players over.  The former one in the lounge room gave a 'restarting device from fatal error' message several times.  The sound delay problem didn't seem to be getting any better either.  So I reckon a swap over of the units wouldn't do any harm.  To ensure I have covered as many options as possible, I also put one of my best quality HDMI leads between the media player and the amplifier.

I don't reckon it will make any difference though.  I suspect the problem with the lip sync is in the TV/Movie files themselves.  Most movie/TV Show sound tracks now come as AAC which is one of the more difficult formats for many media players or receivers to play properly.

Your everyday TV plays it as an mp3 audio track and it loses some of its depth and quality of sound.

If the Movie or TV Show file is .avi it usually has an mp3 audio track on it and it plays perfectly.  However many TV Shows now come as mp4 and have an AAC audio track on them.

Edit:  Several loud barks coming from next door now, but not incessant barking like the other day.

No comments: