Thursday, June 29, 2017

Hard Wired

We are beginning to get used to glorious weather with around 24° during the day and low teens overnight.  There has been plenty of sunshine too.  But that is about to end with a change of wind direction and temperatures heading to the more normal 22° or so during the day.  Still nice mind you but those extra couple of degrees make quite a difference.  Showers are predicted for overnight tonight.

The sale of the laptop off Ebay fell through.  It was later described to me as a display model and failed a final test prior to posting.  I thought I read the eBay advert closely but obviously not closely enough.

Another brew went on yesterday and a trip to the home brew shop showed people had left $150 on my tab down there for any help I had given with their Android TV devices.  It is now $100 lighter with the purchase of numerous 'mixers' and new cans of brew.  I am right for the next two or three months now.

The refurbished DLink Powerline connectors turned up and have been pressed into service.  This now gives me a 'hardwire' connection for the transference of files between my "Cloud Drive" in the 'office' and my Nvidia Shield box in the lounge room.  So in future any buffering would be caused by a poor internet link rather than a local WiFi issue.

The Powerline units themselves are a little bulky and should be plugged directly into a power point on the wall.  Being as bulky as they are, it can be difficult to plug a powerboard plug beside it.  You need one of the older style power plugs or else they don't fit.

The Powerlines use existing electrical cabling to connect devices around the home.  The model I bought has 'passthrough' which means you can still use the power point for electrical connections though I wouldn't press them into service in case it diminishes the connection.  But I guess they would be fine.

The photo above shows what I mean.

I managed to find a couple of old internet cables to use at Computer Club last weekend which really are a bit of an eyesore.  Needless to say I have two new cables coming from China and are due in a few weeks. The cables are required to complete the link between devices from the Powerline units.

We are off to Headland Golf Club for lunch today and taking Keith and his sister with us.  It should be great.  I am not sure they get out a lot as she is still recovering from fairly major surgery.

No comments: