Friday, March 20, 2015

Unwanted Record

Despite getting towards the end of March, yesterday (Thursday) was the hottest day on record for the Sunshine Coast for this month.  The official temperature was 36º but it was hotter in our small enclosed backyard.  It was too hot for the pool even, though a swim after 10pm last night was perfect.

The air-conditioning was extremely welcome.  They say it is slightly cooler today but I am not so sure.  Regular temperatures are due to return tomorrow.

Today Friday has been very busy so far.  We are having roadworks at the top of Bellvista Blvd.  We also have a school here which caters for 1400 children.  Around 2/3 of them come by car from outside our community.  With one road in and one road out, it gets pretty busy during school pickup/dropoff times as the photo I took this morning shows.

The Community Association has negotiated that roadworks would cease during peak times and whenever possible all lanes will be open.  It has been chaotic bedlam trying to get in and out during those busy times.  And despite the agreement it has been pretty much single lane during these times.

So I went up to investigate the situation myself this morning and had a vocal confrontation with the foreman there.  One lane was closed while they did some landscaping works!  Traffic was backed the best part of a kilometre down the road.  Cars were queued across roundabouts, people couldn't make turns and it was almost come to blows!

I rang my contact at Stockland (the developer) who immediately had someone sent down to sort the mess out.  I suspect the contractor will be hauled across the coals as well.  I have since had a call from the person responsible at Stockland with a sincere apology.

Then I had a call from my 'Internet Service Provider' who has been monitoring our internet connections and the dropouts we still get.  I told them I was thinking of leaving if the mess can't be sorted out.  I mentioned we wouldn't be doing anything until I got back from our trip, sometime early in June.

She gave us a month internet connection credit off our account.

Yet another fault will be lodged with Telstra (the wholesaler). I will get another call next week from her with a possible update.

We have Australia playing in a cricket match in an hour or so on TV.  I will enjoy a quiet ale as I sit back and watch.  We had Trish's 'discounted' RSL meal last night.  You get a $15 reduction during your birthday month so with the reduction the meals for both of us were around $35.  I had a few beers as well. So this afternoon's beer will be of somewhat medicinal value as well.

No comments: