Sunday, July 24, 2011

Before The Footy Starts

Things are now almost back to normal. We have caught up with everything which needs doing after the recent visit by Kate and family.

I did a bottle wash this morning and will be able to do a bottling in the next day or so.

Most of my recent time has been taken up with the Community Association. It is Annual General Meeting time and I have decided to take on the president's role. I already look after the website and the Association's Newsletter. It is Newsletter time as well so I have had to finish it off and get it printed.

I picked up 1300 copies of it on Friday afternoon and dropped it off ready to be distributed across the area.

We are in the midst of getting nominations for the 2011/12 Management Committee. Eventually the nominations got to me from the Secretary ready to be put online. The problem I have found is 2 nominees are nominating themselves! It has always been my understanding that you can't nominate yourself at an AGM! I have checked out a source and they too believe that this is not possible.

It isn't too big a problem because nominations can also be taken from the floor at the AGM and that is what we will do. I want to make sure all is level and above board because of any possible future litigation. You don't want to leave yourself 'open' for any sort of legal recourse, especially as President of a Community Organisation!

I had an interesting situation at the Computer Club yesterday. One chap bought a second hand laptop which came with a newly installed version of Vista Ultimate. I have never seen a laptop before with this version of Vista on it! Anyway it won't update via Windows Update. I decided to download and install Service Pack 3 manually. We downloaded it and ran the update. An error message came up saying we had to uninstall the Chinese language packs before it would update. I couldn't uninstall the Chinese language at all.

It is possible the version of Vista is actually an illegal Chinese version with an English Language Pack installed. This will explain why it can't update (it is looking for the Chinese version of the Service Pack 3 update) and why I can't uninstall the Chinese Language Pack. It doesn't have a Language Pack, it is actually a Chinese version!

It is a lovely sunny day, the wind has dropped and it will be low 20's sometime during the afternoon.

No comments: