Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Judy Coldwell Passes Away

I was a school principal for about 10 years. During that time I came to depend upon certain people around the school for their support and advice. The Assistant Principal was always a great sounding board as were other senior staff. The Office Support Staff could always be of great advice and support too.

Judy Coldwell was my Secretary during my first stint as a school principal at Doveton North. We got along really well and I valued her local knowledge of what would work within the local community and what wouldn't. Judy knew all the families so well and often provided invaluable background information on a family situation which helped put things into perspective. We couldn't be more unalike. She would never use bad language, did not drink but was always there when advice was needed. I knew when Judy came into my office, closed the door and said, "Can I speak with you for a moment Les?" that she would be providing me with valuable feedback or advice.

Judy also had the confidence of the community. Parents would often broach a sensitive issue with her knowing full well it would be passed on to me (or whoever) for action.

Judy was a fierce family person as well. Nothing came before any member of her family, it was her reason for being!

Judy's husband Bob was frequently around the school sharing a grin and a smile with everyone. He too would sneak into my office, close the door and pass on a blue joke. I don't know where he got them from but almost every couple of days, there was a Bob with a new joke. They were a devoted couple.

On our trips to Melbourne, we always made a point of popping in to catch up with Judy and Bob, often being their guests for a meal.

Judy recently retired from work within the last 18 months or so.

She passed away from cancer at 3 a.m. on Wednesday.

She will be missed. Trish's and my thoughts are with her husband Bob and their family.

No comments: