Monday, September 18, 2017

Disaster Avoided

As you can see my PC is running fine (or else how would I have completed this post?).  But for a short time Sunday afternoon I wasn't so sure.

I ask that my PC update Windows and other important drivers, namely video graphics card, printer firmware and the like.  Windows 10 updates the system fine but not so some of the other parts of the PC.

Yesterday I found a little program called "Driver Talent", a paid for program which checks all your drivers and updates them for you.  I know the Nvidia Graphics card had an update and I also had guessed there was a possible problem with my Audio driver.

So when I ran Driver Talent and it told me there were updates and repairs available for my Audio drivers and my Nvidia Graphics card I let it go and do its thing.  It also found an update for the 'on board' graphics included on the PC's mother board.

So off it went and downloaded and installed the new Audio Driver and then the on board graphics driver.  After it had installed the on board graphics it suggested a restart to complete the on board graphics update.  I held off doing this as I guessed the Nvidia update would also require a restart.

So after the huge 350mb Nvidia update, I hit restart and the PC closed down and tried to restart but all I got was the error message in the picture above.

So I hit OK and the PC begins to restart with the same error message screen eventually coming up again.  I hit restart again and the PC went through "Automatic Disk Repair" and it still wouldn't start.  Then I got the message "Diagnosing Your P.C." and it came up with a list of "Advanced Options".  I worked my way through each advanced option and finally opted to try "System Restore", back to before I had tried to install the Nvidia Update.

15 minutes later the PC began to restart and the same error message appeared followed by "Preparing Automatic Repair" and so on.  Eventually it got back to the "Advanced Settings" but this time I opted to start up in "Safe Mode".  And this time it started up fine but only in Safe Mode.

So I shut it all down and turned the PC off at the power point.  A minute or so later I tried to start it up again and "Voila" it was all working and started perfectly 100% again.  Quite often a shut down and complete power off will allow the PC to "Reset" itself and start properly ....... as it did!


I have been busy on eBay again.  We bought some very inexpensive luggage from K-Mart for our recent trip to Bali.  The luggage is great and is lightweight, but it sure is flimsy and not really 'full size".

So when some genuine "Antler Brand" full spinner luggage valued at around $260 came up via "Ozbargain" at $96 delivered to my front door, we grabbed one.  I am not mad on the only color which was available but Trish doesn't mind it.  It should be easy enough to spot on the baggage carousel!

And I grabbed an Android TV Dongle (below).  It is a nifty little device and I am looking forward to having a play with it.  It will run Kodi fine and is a quite powerful little device.  It can plug directly into a HDMI port on your TV and connect to your home wifi network and stream movies either from a source you have or from somewhere online.  Pretty clever eh?

No comments: