Thursday, February 23, 2017

All Quiet, Just Waiting ......

I am still waiting for confirmation that the repair on my bike has been completed.  Evidently I just happened to pick the week when the Bike Repair section at our local Anaconda store was flat out with lots of builds and heaps of repairs.  But I should get it back later this afternoon, possibly it will be around 4pm during the lunch break in the first cricket test between India and Australia on Pay TV!

And we are waiting for decent rain as well.  The photo shows just how dry the place is.  No we don't water it, very few if any people water their lawns here.  In an effort to conserve water and to keep costs down, we water the pots in the backyard and occasionally top the pool up as required.  Today the pool required topping up.

But at last it is a little cooler.  It is still shorts and singlet weather for around the house and it can get quite warm for an extended time in the sun.  It was very warm the other day when I washed both cars.  The car we took to Melbourne was the worst with bugs, tar and insects stuck all over the front of it. Turps and elbow grease seemed to work as well.

My $6 'on special' watch from China has snapped a pin where the watch band is connected to the watch itself.  A new pin would fix it but for $8-50 I can get a whole new watch!  Why would you worry about replacing a pin?  The pin snapped when I caught the watch on the car when trying to load the bike into the boot.  It is a tight squeeze and I just clipped an edge on the boot just on my wrist, snapping the pin in the watch.

The cool weather is expected to hang around now.  It will remain around 30° most days and about 24° overnight, but this is somewhat cooler than what we have had.  As the photo shows, we are in desperate need of rain.  They are hopeful of a few regular showers sometime next week.

I did my 3 month ring to Foxtel our Pay TV provider yesterday.  If I ring and say I am going to disconnect the service, Foxtel will bend over backwards to keep you on as a paying customer.  The current deal they offer as a sweetener is 3 months only which means you need to ring up again to get the deal for another 3 months.  The offers they give depends on the package you currently have.  Of course you have to be out of contract to get any deal at all.

But we will now get our Sport, High Definition and Basic Pay TV package for around $35.  The usual price is closer to $65.  So over the year we save close to $350.  When you call to disconnect, you must say "Disconnections" at the voice prompt to ensure you are connected to the 'negotiating' team.  I just tell them I am a pensioner, things are getting tough and I need to cutback on my expenses so the Pay TV has to go.  I have been a customer for almost 20 years as well which helps with my bargaining.

No comments: