Sunday, January 08, 2017

Sunday, We've Been Back a Week!

Usually I am into online buying stuff but today I have been into the other side of the coin, online selling!

I am a huge fan of Android TV Boxes and have two sitting at my place beside the TV at the moment.  And the old WDTV Streaming media player has been there as well.  My 'go to entertainment box' is back to the Minix android TV box which I have had for around 12 months or so.

Technology has caught me out a little with the Minix and the manufacturer is experiencing problems upgrading the firmware so it can take Android 5.  This means that right now the Minix I have is kind of in limbo as they try their best to upgrade the box but without the support of the manufacturer of the 'chip' that runs the box.

It still plays 99% of all the available files and unlike many less expensive boxes, it handles DTS audio without a hassle.  It works fine right now but eventually may be caught out.

The "Rolls Royce" of Android Media boxes is the $300 "Nvidia Shield" of which there has just been a release of the latest model.  It is touted to be 3x more powerful than any other box of its kind!  They will be released on January 16th and I can expect delivery of mine before the end of January from Amazon in the USA.  Yes I have lashed out and ordered one!  I am told I will not be disappointed!

It has Android 7 and has Google Speak.  So you speak into the remote after turning the box on, e.g. "Launch Kodi" and then Kodi begins to start up!  No button pushing, just give the command.

So my need for the old WDTV and my two other android TV boxes soon will no longer exist.  The WDTV went on the local online selling website Gumtree today, I am lending the $50 model Sunvell to someone so they can try it out tomorrow and the Minix will be available to buy again via Gumtree upon my receipt of the new Nvidia Shield in around 3 week's time.

If I can recoup $150 overall from sales of what I no longer require, it goes towards paying for the newest toy!

That's my Gumtree advert photo above!

Unlike many parts of this land, the weather up our way has been a little cooler than the southern states.  Most days we get the odd shower or two but it usually fines up to around 30°.  We had a wet day and a cool top of around 26° dropping the pool temperature by around 5°.  It is approaching 28° in the pool today though.

The Test cricket has finished on TV, my latest brew has a day or two to go and the bottles are now clean and sanitized.  The Waeco situated beside the back door is full of cool drinks and working perfectly.

I have managed a bike ride or two between the showers or bottle washing as well.

I have had two call outs today to assist people with electrical setups or computer hassles.  One chap is an English Premier League soccer fan and has had to switch to Optus to get EPL access.  I helped him set up his Optus Fetch TV box this morning and did some work on his PC.

Another couple had lost the sound on their laptop and that just required really 'un-ticking' the "Off" button!  But all are now happy campers with things working as they should.  I was given a couple of bottles of wine as thanks from one guy!

Recently we watched a movie called "The Accountant" which we found to be great.  Keep your eye out for it.  UK TV has seen the return of numerous British detective series and we are again enjoying the latest episodes of Midsomer Murders, Silent Witness, Endeavour, Death In Paradise and Father Brown.  This along with several new shows like "Unforgotten" and "Taboo" have meant downloading and storing away TV shows has been flat out.

Throw in the occasional great movie and our TV watching is going along well.  Somehow over the next couple of weeks we will have to fit in the Australian Open Tennis, One Day International Cricket matches as well as "The Big Bash" T20 cricket!

Busy, busy, busy!

No comments: