Sunday, January 29, 2017

It Continues Hot ....

It has been hot yet again today.  Whilst on my lengthy bike ride this morning I chatted with some people I know, people born and bred in this part of the world and everyone is saying it is a really hot summer.

It is now late afternoon on Sunday, the pool is over 30° and getting 'warm and soupy' again.  Thank heavens for the Waeco portable fridge and cool drinks.  Home brew has again been great.  The air con is running but it is set to 28° which makes sitting under the fan delightful!

My Nvidia Shield learning curve continues to soar!  The Shield's Android operating system is a version designed specifically for the this type of box.  My Minix and Sunvell boxes also had Android running on them but it was the same variation as runs on tablets and phones.  The version on the Shield is different and therefore you can load all the same apps on board because some of the apps just won't work properly.

One app I sideloaded to install, works 95%.  You can get it to work 100% but you need two remotes.  On one program the Shield Remote "Back" won't work but it does work if you use the 'back' key on the wireless keyboard.  And of course I am discovering some very clever people out there who have created approved apps which help to run some of the unapproved apps!

Where there is a will there is a way!

Our Australia Day celebrations were great.  Friends arrived around 3pm and we helped them into the cab well after 10pm.  There was heaps to eat, enough to drink and the weather was hot and dry!  It was heaps of laughs and lots of good times.

Computer Club was busy again on Saturday.  They have spent thousands and upgraded the wifi internet at the club.  Now it runs at around 50MBps.  That is about twice as fast as basic level NBN.  It now means we can really help people and it is great.  It will attract people back to the club again

Even more DVD Screener versions of movies which have been in the running for Academy Awards honors are coming online.  I enjoyed Hacksaw Ridge but it was a little too violent for Trish.  "Lion" became available today but we have the tennis finals on tonight.  And showing them on the Shield they work fine, no hassles, no dramas all runs very well.

I am even more pleased with the purchase than what I was the other day.  I spent a couple of hours with 2 couples who own Android TV boxes.  They don't have a lot of understanding as to how they work so it was a heap on the information session for them, and a very steep learning curve as well.

The guy wanted to make a donation to my home brew shop account.  I learnt he makes his own alcohol so I managed to get him to give me a couple of litres of alcohol and not worry about the Home Brew shop account.  I have heaps of mixers and will find the alcohol very welcome.  After Melbourne my Bourbon supplies were dwindling.  This will give them the lift the supplies sorely need!

No comments: