Saturday, November 19, 2016

Saturday Arvo

It is late Saturday afternoon and the cricket from New Zealand has just finished on the Pay TV.  Recently I did my usual Pay TV trick and rang them saying I wanted to disconnect.  I really didn't want to disconnect, just get a better month by month deal!  So my monthly Pay TV bill has dropped from $61 per month to $35 but only for 3 months.  But that is $78 better off in my pocket than theirs I suppose.

My cooking friend and his partner just loved the day at Sunnybank and the Malaya Corner Restaurant.  The Char Koay Teow was a huge hit as was the Malacca Curry, the salt and pepper squid and the Lobak.  The satay chicken was great too.  Peter enjoys cooking so his next mission is to master Char Koay Teow!

My old watch which cost me around $15 needed a new battery.  At that price I decided it was cheaper to buy another cheap watch rather than replace the battery.  This time I went a little more upmarket and bought one on eBay for a little over $20!  However, despite the instructions, I just couldn't get the alarm to stop sounding every hour or so on it when I was wearing it.

The last reasonable watch I had was around $60 and was a basic Casio divers watch as in the photo above.  I could wear it anywhere, it was as tough as nails and finished up into the pool, scratched to blazes and just an all round good hard wearing (but dressy enough) watch.

I kept my eye out for replacement for the non alarm turning off $20+ watch and was adamant I wasn't ever going to spend over $20 again!  So when this one went on special (see left) at $11 down to $6-22 I couldn't resist it.

It took a few weeks to be delivered from China but arrived late last week.  It keeps great time, is light and comfortable to wear and has a large face making it easy to read.

I did like the old Casio divers watch and it too came on special as well, this time via Amazon in the US for around $65 delivered.  This is the first time I have bought online from Amazon and I was really impressed with how quickly the Casio was delivered from the U.S.  It was great with excellent communication from Amazon as to where the delivery was up to.  I received an email yesterday saying the watch would be delivered by this Monday, then another email this morning (Saturday) saying it would be delivered today.

There was a knock on the door around 8 am, it was the delivery guy with the watch.  It was excellent service.  It has become my 'going out' watch!

We are enjoying slightly cooler weather with tops in the high 20's and mid teens overnight.  The mid teens overnight knocks the pool temperature around so after pool water temperature of 29° a few days ago, it now starts the day at around 24° and struggles to 26° mid afternoon with the cooler days.

The beer bottling went well using the large 1.25l drink bottles.  But I now have a growing supply of empty 700ml PET bottles I usually use for bottling.  So I need to put another brew on this week and look to bottle early the following week.  That should do me until we return from Melbourne early in the New Year.

No comments: