Sunday, May 13, 2012

Blue Screen Of Death

One of the most dreaded things to find on your computer is commonly known as the "Blue Screen Of Death".  To get it once isn't a problem.  Push the power button, turn your PC off (hold the power button), restart it is and usually everything is fine.

But when it happens two startups in a row it means you have a problem!  And that is what happened to me last night, two startups and two Blue Screens Of Death!  But it was quickly and easily rectified.

One of the causes of a "Blue Screens" is a major fault with hardware.  I was busily recharging my cordless mouse up via a powered USB Hub I have attached to the PC.  If my router has three lights on the left hand side it means the PC is on and connected to the internet.  Yesterday I had three lights on but the PC was turned off.  This was because I had the powered USB turned on, and power was going back along the USB lead into the PC making the router think the PC was 'on'.

Powered USB Hubs are notorious for causing glitches with PC's.  And this one is no different.  I had left it powered on to recharge the mouse.  When I turned the PC on, it started to load Windows and when it came to the powered USB Hub it felt it was a major hardware problem so immediately decided to put up the "Blue Screen Of Death".

I pushed and held the power button and the PC powered off.  I switched the USB Hub power off, restarted the PC and all went smoothly, no problems everything was OK.

Problem solved.

Two posts in the one day.  For more of today's news read the post below.

No comments: