Thursday, January 20, 2011

Another Warm One Today!

The 'decent' shower of rain I was after in the post below fell last night. It was about 10:30pm when the wind rose from the south, there was lightning across the sky and the deep roar of thunder some distance away. It started as a sprinkle and then developed into a full downpour. Just over an hour later there was about 30mls in the rain gauge.

The water diverter did its job diverting rain water from a storm water downpipe on the house into the pool and raised the pool's water level by almost 3". So the pool water level was once again above the skimmer box entry to the pool. I let it drain a little but then put the 'plug' back in to stop all the excess water flowing away. With warm temps it doesn't take too long for evaporation to lower the pool water level! Despite all the rain the pool temp was still just under 28 degrees!

I put a brew on early yesterday afternoon and it was bubbling away later that day. This one is a "Black" ale and I have added a 'mix' of dextrose, corn syrup, malt and brown sugar to it. This should give the brew an extra rich malty taste. Previous goes I have had using this mix have been extremely successful. Today I washed the bottles. You can see them here filled with water and bleach which I use to sanitize the bottles. After emptying the water/bleach mix I give them a good rinse in very warm water to get rid of any last taste of the bleach. For this brew I am using 1.25l Coca Cola bottles!

Last night we watched the movie "Blue Valentine". Both the male and female leading actors in this movie had been nominated in the recent Golden Globe awards. I found it a little slow but Trish really enjoyed it.

Quite sunny outside and a bit sticky too. It will be around the low 30's here in our small backyard so the pool will get used!

Trish has Trivia tonight so I will be watching some T/20 cricket on Pay TV.

No comments: