Friday, March 20, 2009

Back Home Again On The Sunshine Coast

We winged our way home on Wednesday arriving to an overcast sky and temperatures in the mid 20's. We had had 40mls of rain that morning in a very short time according to a neighbour. Unpacking took its time and the washing machine was pressed into service. We had some great memories, especially catching up with so many people at Trish's birthday party.

This is a shot of my sister who drove a long way to be at the party and me. It is always good to catch up with family and friends.

We had spent the previous afternoon (Tues) with Chris, Wendy and the grand children Andrew and Emily. Another good chat was had and we played a bit with the kids. Wendy cooks pretty well, good country style, so we both slept OK on a full stomach. Chris had us at the airport by 9 am and in plenty of time to catch our flight.

We have really just dawdled about the last day or so. Trish is at Quilting this morning and then will do a grocery shop before arriving home later this afternoon.. I have just about updated all my PC stuff and I have had a play with the slide copying gadget I bought online just before we headed south. It was actually delivered to Kate's in Melbourne while we were there. It works much better than the previous one I had and returned. Yesterday I managed to 'convert' almost 100 slides to digital pictures (each one about 700kb so reasonable quality) in well under an hour.

The color in the slides has faded a fair bit so it is difficult to do 'photo improvement' on the computer after converting them. Much of the color just no longer is there. This shot was taken when we lived in Penang in Malaysia during the late 70's. (That is 30 years ago!) That is our youngest daughter Kim sitting on the fallen palm with me on a beach at the north end of the island. The photo has 'blue' tinge to it as I tried to brighten it up.

A friend of mine from the computer club has reworked the photo, looks much better now doesn't it? The first copy that I made before it was redone is centre below.


I now stand before you as living proof that you CAN fatten a thoroughbred!

The Penang Snake temple is quite a tourist attraction today. This is another photo from the 70's slides and shows the older two children, Chris and Kate looking closely at a 'deadly' viper at the Penang Snake Temple. The snakes seemed pretty conked out from memory and I also believe they had had their nasty bits removed.

No comments: