Monday, October 15, 2007

The New PC

The monitor for my new PC was delivered to the shop mid morning Saturday and I went down early Saturday afternoon to collect it. You can imagine my disappointment when I connected the monitor and the little sign "No Signal" came up on the screen. All that greeted me was a blank screen! I had received quite a few different leads with it and I was using the standard VGA monitor lead to connect it to the PC. There are many various connections at the rear of this thing and I tried them all and with all the leads I could. No luck!

I even connected the 'old' PC to the new monitor and it worked fine. Came Sunday morning a trick I had learned along the way is to totally disconnect the PC from the power and let it sit. I used the 'best lead' (DVI) and connected it straight to the Graphics Card connectors and restarted the computer! Bingo, all systems go!

Needless to say the rest of Sunday and much of Monday was spent setting it up to do the sorts of things I wanted it to do. So far only two minor programs I had used with XP would not load or run properly on this Vista Premium PC.

I have a 'wireless' keyboard and mouse. The keyboard connects to the PC via a USB plug or it has a purple adapter so it can connect to the purple keyboard PS/2 connector on the PC. The mouse connects to the PS/2 green connector at the rear of the PC. The new PC has a Purple PS/2 connector on it but no green one! The guy at the shop said just connect the keyboard to the PC via the one USB connection and you may find the one connection will do for both the keyboard and the mouse! And he was correct!

I downloaded a new Internet Security package from Trend Micro and installed that. The darn thing went through a heap of my cracks for programs and quarantined them all! That program only lasted 24 hours before being uninstalled and replaced with old faithfull AVG again!

I still have to connect the printer, scanner and DVB-T tuner card (TV via your computer) but most likely that will happen sometime in the future. Now back to 'playing'!

No comments: